26 April 2010

Dalmatians

We had a crew of about 70 1st-5th grade students here on Saturday.  Talk about busy!  They got here around 11 and left at 4.  We had a meal, played games, did a Bible study, sang songs, and had a craft project.  I was in charge of the craft - we made ShrinkyDink bookmarks.  I learned many things: 
  1. Young children CAN use permanent markers without making a HUGE mess (I only had to clean a few spots off the tables).
  2. Convection ovens are awesome, but will cause the ShrinkyDink to fly around because of the fan.
  3. ShrinkyDinks curl alarmingly, but will mostly flatten out again
  4. Stacking another layer of parchment paper and then another cookie sheet on top of the ShrinkyDinks will work and does keep them from ending up horribly mauled by the convection oven fan
Needless to say, I have now perfected the method of ShrinkyDink production in the camp kitchen.  Things I never knew I needed to know.  :)

When all was said and done, we went out to eat with the summer staff who had come up to volunteer.  One of my favorite parts of my job is the people I meet and get to work with.  Most of them are funny, smart, goofy nerds.  Much like my friends (you all know you are!).  I like them.  I can't wait for summer!

Lately, I've been falling asleep to NPR.  It's usually during 'World Cafe.'  I heard a song the other night that I vaguely remember thinking that I should look up, and then someone posted this link on Facebook today.  The song I had listened to was Josh Ritter's Change of Time.  I've been listening to the whole album, and have decided that yes, indeed, I should buy it.  Someday.  When I have money.  

There have been may things added to that list (the I should buy it. Someday. When I have money. list).  I've started trying to keep track of these things with a list in the small notebook I try to carry around with me.  I actually title the list (cuz I'm a nerd).  It's called 'If wishes were horses...'  Yup.  :)


3 comments:

Aethelflaed said...

Haha, I have one of those lists. Mine is more simply titled "Wish List." It's surprisingly short. My book list, however, is much, much longer. Much.

Unknown said...

Convection ovens are sooo cooooool!!! Of course who knew you would have to know all about shrinky dinks?!?!?!?!?

Alpha Za said...

haha, I like the idea for the when i have money list. I'm going to make one. I'll start with a Private Jet that's tricked out with cool star wars graphics.

What are Shrinky Dinks?